Grown on a a stretch of Peruvian coastal desert that has never been exposed to chemical pesticides or fertilizers. Using innovative permaculture techniques, their partners turned this salty desert into a sustainable oasis—the first organic farm in Peru, rich with biodiversity. In addition to its organic status, the farm is EUREGAP Certified for “Good Agricultural Practices,” and the olives are certified Kosher.
This unique strain of the Botija olive tree is the hardiest they’ve ever seen, and it produces a large, plum-like olive with a robust flavor and meaty texture. Every olive ripens on the tree, is manually harvested and sun-dried for 5-7 days, then low-temperature washed and prepared using healthy lacto-fermentation (instead of the fast, cheap vinegar or lye preparation commonly used today). The herbed varieties are marinated in a bath of their own cold-pressed olive oil and locally-grown herbs and aji. Finally, they’re bagged for easy-to-handle shipping and shopping.
Olives are one of the moist nutrient-dense foods, and their effects are nothing short of miraculous:
- Protects blood vessels, cuts arterial plaque and lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol while raising HDL (good) cholesterol.
- Olive-oil diets halve heart-attack risk!
- Protects against ulcers and gastritis, and promotes ulcer healing
- Cuts colon cancer risk
- Oleic acid in olives cuts breast cancer risk and fights aggressive tumor growth
- Rich in calcium and antioxidants
- Polyphenols fight osteoporosis!
- Lacto-Fermentation creates natural pro-biotics to aid in digestive health and immune balance.
I’ve been buying Botija olives from Peru for many years. I love these olives, especially the herbed ones. They are so meaty and satisfying. Because they are so rich, I only eat 2-4 a day. Such a treat and burst of flavor — eat them alone, on a charcuterie board, in a salad, with fish, the options are endless.
- You must login to post comments